Spring in Texas is a beautiful time of year when the grass turns green, the flowers bloom, and the weather becomes more pleasant. However, with the arrival of spring also comes the need to take care of your lawn and irrigation system. Here are some tips to help you get your lawn and irrigation system ready for the spring season.
1. Have your irrigation system inspected to find any leaks, broken sprinkler heads, or clogged nozzles. Have the problems fixed before you start watering your lawn in the spring.
2. Set your irrigation system for spring: Adjust your irrigation system for the spring season. In Texas, the weather can be unpredictable, so you may need to change your watering schedule accordingly. Be sure to water your lawn deeply and less frequently, rather than watering it lightly and frequently.
3. Fertilize your lawn: Fertilize your lawn in the spring to give it the nutrients it needs to grow and thrive. Choose a fertilizer that is appropriate for your lawn type and apply it according to the package directions.
4. Mow your lawn: As your grass starts to grow, you'll need to mow it regularly. Make sure your lawnmower blades are sharp and set at the right height for your lawn type. In Texas, the recommended mowing height for most grass types is around 2-3 inches.
5. Remove weeds: Spring is a great time to get rid of any weeds that may have sprouted in your lawn. Use a weed killer that is safe for your grass type and follow the instructions carefully.
6. Mulch your flower beds: Spread a layer of mulch over your flower beds in the spring to help retain moisture and control weeds.
With these tips, you can get your lawn and irrigation system ready for the spring season and enjoy the beauty of your yard for months to come.